SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flwrsforme

Help for a new Bermuda lawn! Fertilizer?

flwrsforme
7 years ago

I'm a newbie here and a newbie to Bermuda. We are from the Midwest, and we now live in Upstate South Carolina. We moved into a new subdivision, and my son starting mowing a lawn for neighbors that moved in about 4 months ago. So their Bermuda grass in the front is nice and green and lush, but their backyard grass is looking terrible! When they first asked us to mow it, they had just moved in and the backyard grass was 6 inches high. The highest our mower goes to is 4.1. We mowed at this height, and the grass was doing fine. Well, we tried lowering the mower to 3.8 because the grass is very spindly, and we thought this would help the Bermuda grow horizontally not just vertically. It looked like we may have scalped it at some areas, but the homeowner is very gracious. Well, we went today and mowed it and parts of the backyard look like they are dying. I know part of the problem is that they were watering every day, and now they are watering a couple times of week. A second problem is that I don't know how much SUN the backyard gets because of a big tree in the backyard. I told them about the Bermuda Bible, and I am going to bring it over to them. They have never fertilized so what fertilizer should I get? The BB says a 39-0-0 or 34-0-0 with slow release urea. Can someone tell me a brand name for this fertilizer and where to buy it? And another advice for this lawn would be so appreciated! Thank you so much!

Comments (7)