SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peavley

Newbie needs some direction

peavley
15 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Me and my sife would like to plant a few fruit trees. We are not even set yet on exactly what type. I just think it would be interesting to get into. We already have a satsuma tree (2yrs old) and it has not produced any fruit yet. It has three satsumas on it now, but I do not know when they will be ready to pick.

I guess what I am wondering is where can a newbie go to research the best types of fruit to plant? I think I would like possibly an apple (for baking and eating), peach and possibly a pear, but I just do not know anything about these. Will they grow in south Louisiana? Do they need other trees close by? Is that what yall refer to as pollinating? Speaking of pollinating does my satsuma need another tree close by? Maybe that is why it has produced yet? It is growing nicely but just no fruit yet. Besides Kumquat, what else would be a good fruit tree to plant in Baton Rouge, Louisiana? Also what about blueberries? Is that a tree or a bush? Sorry for all of the dumb questions but I am just getting interseted in fruit. Thank you very much

Comments (6)