SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alan50

Cutting St. Augustine

alan50
16 years ago

Need your expertise. When we had St. Augustine sod installed,we went shopping for a second mower. We have fescue in the front yard and cut that with a rotary mower about 4 inches tall. We were told that we needed the second mower in order to not introduce fescue and other interesting plants into our new St. Augustine lawn. While researching, a number of landscapers said that we needed a front-throw machine, so we purchased a 20" tru-cut mower. The landscaper said the tru-cut mower will cut the St.Augustine short, where a rotary mower will tear the grass blade. Then I found this garden forum! With weeds in our new St. Augustine lawn, I found that I was watering too much and cutting the lawn too short. Upon the recommendation of several of the forum folks, I let the St.Augustine grow to 3-5 inches and reduced the watering schedule. Many of the weeds are now being choked out, and the lawn is looking much better. My problem now is that I cannot raise the tru-cut mower higher than a 2" cut. Is this too low to cut St. Augustine? I mowed the

St. Augustine with the rotary mulcher at 4" inches because the rotary can be raised to produce an approximately 4-5" grass cut. Is this a mistake to use the same mower on both lawns types? With the St. Augustine being thick and healthy, I am hoping it will take care of most anything that I bring from the front lawn. If 2" is too short for St. Augustine, I guess I will sell the tru-cut...$1200 fiasco???? Yikes. Appreciate your opinions and advice. AL

Comment (1)