SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestlawn

Great news for last fall renovators

16 years ago

All the slow growth and weed problems have had me as baffled as most of you. As far as slow growth, I and others have submitted that soil temps simply aren't favorable yet and to be patient where that's concerned. However, what has had me most baffled is your weeds problems. I've been afraid to suggest one way or the other, being not quite sure of herbicide applications with such limited growth, being torn between time's maturity and taking label instructions literally. Sooooo, I decided to find out for certain because I am as disappointed for some of you as I've no doubt you are.

Following is the definitive answer. He kindly took the liberty to confirm some other points also.........

Weed controls, both pre and post, can certainly be used on Fall planted turf. The Âmow first rule is typically used when applications are considered the first month or so after planting. For turf planted six months ago and coming through a winter, theyÂve certainly hardened off enough to cope with some weed control. As always follow those label rates!!

Another important consideration is keeping an eye on the weather. Spring Âheat waves can pop up quickly so care needs to be taken in watching local forecasts. For example, weÂve been unseasonably cool this spring with only a day or two in the 70Âs, yet, Thursday through Sat is forecasted for high 80Âs  low 90Âs. You wouldnÂt want to apply a post emergent on a new lawn heading into that type of heat.

As for the low-mow lawns in springÂÂÂitÂs important for the folks to remember that soil temperature is a significant factor in spring growth. Typically soil temps lag a few weeks behind air temps and cold soils do not favor much growth. Lawns may green, but show little top-growth. Cold soils also do not favor the nitrification process that provides readily available N to lawns and other plants. For those on Âorganic programs or using Urea-based nitrogen products, cold soils translate to Âhungry lawns. IÂd suggest the use of products featuring some nitrate and / or ammoniacal sources of N to jump start a lawn. KBÂs typically donÂt start moving much before the low Â50Âs in the soil.

Another factor is the broad use of KBÂs that exhibit very slow spring green-up. There are a significant number of elite, low-growing KB varieties that are extremely slow to green up in the spring. TheyÂre all beautiful varieties, widely used, and slow as molasses! They basically grow when theyÂre ready and not much before!

So spray away as much as label instructions allow to get rid of those weeds. And when temps rise and become steady enough to allow the soil to warm up, you'll be well on your way to the beautiful lawn you expected this summer to be.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner