SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dspake

PreM/Fertilizer advice on Fall renovated bare spots

16 years ago

Hello all,

I had to do a spring reseed last year, and although the grass did come in well (TTTF - Avenger, Rembrant & Piccaso), I had major weed issues (crabgrass, splurge, goosegrass, ect..). Now, I know that's to be expected given a spring reseed, but I in two particular areas (along the driveway and along the steet curb) it was really, really bad. I killed off the weeds in those areas back in Sept, composted and overseeded just those areas in early October with some sucess. I then closed the year off with a high nitrogen feed (over everything) after Thanksgiving, putting everything on hold till Spring.

Now I'm ready to hit everything with pre-emergent, to get a early start on combating the weeds. My question has to do with the strips that I had to reseed last year. Should I handle them any differently than the rest of the yard? Such as overseeding them again, or hitting those areas with extra fertilizer (High N - to get the grass going gangbusters), or should I leave them alone and just pre-emergent the whole thing and be done with it?

The fertilizer issue sounds the best to me, but I know these Kansas summers can get really brutally hot, and even with an irrigation system, the grass takes a horrendous beating. If I boost that grass with fertilzier, and really get it growing, I'm afraid the summer will just kill it all off and I'll be back where I started.

Suggestions?

Dave

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH