SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amywalker730

Grass is in bad shape. Browning, weeds, and bare spots.

amywalker730
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Our grass has become a bit of a joke. It's by far the worst lawn in the neighborhood and I don't know if what I have planned would rejuvenate it. In the front it's very brown and has gradually been thinning for the past ten years. Broad leaf weeds are a problem too, but far less in the front than in the sides or rear where the lawn is half-clover.

I've already submitted a soil test to my extended service officer and they will return an analysis of the soil contents. I tried to take it myself, but my testing kit just would not take nitrogen samples. I know that I have a very high acid soil, though.

I've spent the last two months learning all that I can about yard work and what to do. From that I've put together a program. I've also waited until early fall when the temperature is consistently in the high 60s, and low 70s which came last week. So now I'm ready to make any last-minuet adjustments if I need to.

Things I plan to do one day this week.

1. Cut the grass to 1 1/2 inches (Ryegrass)

2. Dethach.

3. Core aerate.

4. Overseed Kentucky Bluegrass.

5. Put down whatever fertilizer that my soil testing results say that I lack.

6. Water three times each day for five minutes.

Next spring I plan to take another soil test and make any adjustments to my new situation. I'd also like to begin making compost to help save on fertilizer.

As for the weed situation I've read that a healthy and thick lawn acts as a natural suppressant and will do a good job at overcoming many of the weeds present in the lawn. What remains next Spring will be pulled and killed with chemicals when it's the best time to target them.

Could you guys please comment on my lawn and plan? Before I began researching the only-thing I knew was that I needed to mow the grass, and even that I thought it was fine to cut at the lowest height my mower could achieve so I wouldn't have to mow as often. So I'm bound to have made mistakes in what I've learned.

Comments (8)