SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newcave1

Grass type for 2+ acres between Houston and Galveston

newcave1
14 years ago

I never thought it would be so difficult to select a type of ground cover!

Goal: Need to get something extremely low maintenance growing on bare dirt. Future plans include veggie gardens, fruit trees, wildflowers, etc. We do not need a perfect - or anywhere near perfect lawn. We need to cover dirt!

Facts:

Property flooded in hurricane Ike. Extensive dirt work has been done to elevate building pad and improve drainage. There is currently a lot of bare dirt that will potentially erode during our typical summer deluges . Need to get something growing before the buried weeds return or soil migrates to Galveston Bay.

The only water source on property is a water tap in corner. It is only supposed to be used for construction

Construction of new house is delayed for 6 months to a year because of financial constraints. New house will be large metal building. Whatever is planted now, will probably be at least partially destroyed or damaged during construction. Will probably have to re-do grass later. Ug!

Can't afford sod for 2 acres.

Who would have thought that it would be difficult to pick a type of grass seed, spread it, and get some little roots into the soil. I like the idea of zoysia, but can't irrigate in the early stages. Buffalo grass sounds intriguing but people look at me like I have 3 eyes when I ask about it. I am intrigued with the concept of native grasses in at least some areas on the property. Argentine bahia sounded interesting on the internet. Maybe a mixture of several different types would be good. thought about some type of pasture grass - but I am a city girl and that is way over my head. There are deer that hang out on the property sometimes. They always look hungry to me!

My best guess is that I will need to wait for a week that looks like it will be rainy, spread seed and pray.

In desperation, I bought 40 lbs of Sahara Bermuda - because I didn't know what else to do! It is sitting in the garage because I am not really happy with this choice.

Does anyone have any suggestions - other than get a six-pack and forget about it!

Thanks!

Comments (13)