SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
c__j

Thought I had thatch, but I guess I just have thinning grass

christine
15 years ago

Our yard looks much more yellow than all the others, sadly including the 2 year vacant house. My husband insists on bagging despite my constant reminding that mulching is better. We always look at this layer of brown/yellow grass that seems just under the surface (especially this time of year) and had assume we had thatch.

So yesterday I went out with a steak knife and dug up a few plugs to see if we did. Turns out, we have pretty much ZERO thatch and I guess just thinning grass making the yellow grass more prominent looking. I have KGB sod as far as I know from the neighbors. The house is 10 years old as is the lawn, and it has been neglected for probably 5 years.

I would love some help putting together a plan of action to get my lawn looking better this year and well prepped for seeding in the fall, or even seeding now if it would be any bit effective. I love the thought of more organic fertilizing and enriching, but I also admit I tend to be lazy and want to go to big box stores so I am torn on that decision. I would appreciate any help and suggestions, this forum is always so full of knowledge!

Comments (9)