SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eam44

Can you help me bring my lawn back?

eam44
11 years ago

I'm new to this forum and I need product recommendations for fertilizer and methods that might restore my lawn. I don't know how to find a fertilizer that is 20-3-12. If I use the organic lawn food from Espoma 18-0-3, is that close enough? Has anyone tried their 9-0-0 weed preventer? Can I use that along with the fertilizer or does that give me 27-0-3? How do I get that "3" up to a "12"?
{{gwi:87739}}{{gwi:87740}}

Or am I fretting about numbers that don't much matter? I recently moved back to the house I grew up in, and the lawn is the worse for five years of neglect. I would like to see it green and plush with clover as the only weed.

Answers to the checklist questions are below as well as soil test results. Thanks so much for your help.

1. Location: Cleveland, OH
2. Type: KBG I believe
3. Products Applied: Nothing. I pull dandelions by hand. Lawn was cared for with organic products for years, then, nothing.
4. Irrigation Frequency: Hasn't been irrigated in 5 years.
5. Lawn established? Lawn was established 30 years ago and was well cared for for 25. No re-seeding or new sod.
6. Mowing Height/Frequency: Mowed to 4" every other week. Haven't mowed yet this year.
7. Soil Test: Recommended 20-3-12 fertilizer @ 5 lbs/1000 sf April, June, and August and application of superphosphate 0-20-0 @ 5 lbs/1000 sf in August.

Soil pH 6.8 Buffer pH 7
Organic Matter 10.9% HIGH (desirable 4 - 10%)

B 0.6 ppm normal... Mn 9.1 ppm normal... Zn 1.6 ppm normal... Cu 0.3 ppm normal... Fe 4.3 ppm normal... S 59.9 ppm HIGH (1 - 40 is normal)

P 6 ppm (LOW)... K 81 ppm (Medium)... Ca 4171 ppm (VERY HIGH)... Mg 386 ppm (VERY HIGH)

Micronutrient Levels All Normal
Percent Base Saturation K= 0.9 Mg=13.1 Ca=86.1
Cation Exchange Cap 24.3 Meq/100g

Extractable Aluminum 10 ppm (10 - 250 ppm range)
Soluble Salts: 0.04 dS/M (0.08 - 0.50 dS/M range)
The lead level in this soil is low

8. Entire lawn or a specific area(s)?
The whole lawn, with one particular area that used to be shaded by an ash tree (that died) very sparse.

1. Weed Types: I have dandelions, moss, and some that look like round leafed dandelions.
  2. Problem Duration: Areas of moss have been spreading over the last year. This has been a five year decline.
  3. Synthetic or Organic Solution: Organic if possible.
  4. Past Remedies: New endeavor.
  5. Any solutions not feasible? Nope.

This post was edited by EAM44 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 8:06

Comments (6)