SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
youth4him

Lawn Redo - Which Option to Go With

youth4him
14 years ago

We are just beginning our design phase for redesigning our entire property. We have 5 acres, and had the bright idea originally of using ALL of it for landscaping, DUMB IDEA. Over an acre of sod, spread out trees, a pond, and lots of time and effort later, we're tired of being slaves to the property.

So, we're pretty much gutting it. We're putting in a backyard living space, integrated pool area (we've had a pool all along), no more pond, etc., and best off all, ELIMINATING 2/3 of the grass! Woot!

Now, the QUESTION is...what to do to improve the rest of it? My prep when I seeded wasn't stellar, I didn't get deep enough, so compaction is an issue. The grass is difficult to water and keep green, full, and weed free. The soil is high clay content, no rocks at all.

I think I have 2 basic options - CORE AERATION with overseeding or TILL IT and reseed/hydroseed.

Tilling it is more complicated because of the sprinklers, but I can work around that. Just want to do it right the 2nd time around, so there's not a third time.

Any advice?

You can see the brown areas in this pic. We're actually removing all of that lawn area, but this is indicative of the problem. We're pulling the lawn just about back to where the grade flattens out. As you can see, the disturbed ground (during construction 7 years ago) has better grass.

{{gwi:87482}}

Comments (6)