SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nc_lawn_nut

Prep for second feeding.

nc_lawn_nut
16 years ago

Somewhat of a dilema.

Day 13 of the newly renovated lawn (KBG+TTTF) and I have my first sprouts coming up. WOOT!! I did not kill off the entire previous "remains" of what was a joke of a lawn.

I fertilized with Scott's Starter with crabgrass preventer. My plan is to go full organic. I've got two issues.

Issue #1. Newly sprouted lawn will need food in another 3-4 weeks. If I am using soybean meal, when do I lay it down

so that I don't starve the new lawn? How much should I feed it? Should I stick with synthetic until the mid-Summer feeding?

Issue #2. Weeds. My soil prep consisted of aerating like a mo-fo and covered my lawn with a solid inch (deeper in some areas I leveled) of 50/50 soil/compost blend. Soooo, I am dealing with some pesky weeds that have managed to grow through the soil I put down because I did not kill off the previous lawn. I'm going to be doing a lot of handing picking until I get the lawn tall enough to take over. Should I use Round-up to beat them back? Several areas of weeds that cover a couple square feet in spots.

As an aside, I specifically did not kill off the entire lawn as I just planted $$$ worth of new shrub beds all around the yard and was afraid I'd damage them. My previous house I killed several nice trees (ie, not pine) after using herbicide so didn't want that experience again.

A light bulb just went on. Concocting an herbicide that is selective to pine trees would make me millions :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting