SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arjo_reich

Replacing topsoil after sod-cutting...

arjo_reich
16 years ago

First, I should mention that my front lawn is only about 1800-2000 sq. ft. so we're not talking about a massive expanse of tuff here...

I'm renovating my lawn and last sunday I sprayed it all down with round-up to kill it off. It occurs to me that the easiest way to remove it would be to rent a sod-cutter and just lop it off that way and not have to worry about lumps from clumps of the dead, previous lawn that was there before renovation.

Besides, I run a rather aggressive little homegrown composting project in the backyard and it'll just be integrated into that.

------

What I'm wondering is...

Will I need to replace all of that topsoil or only just a portion of it when I begin to amend my lawn? If I need to replace 2.5" of topsoil @ 2000 sq. ft. I'm going to be looking at nearly 17.5 cubic yards of topsoil - which can be pricey.

It seems to me that the process of tilling the soil will fluff it up somewhat, not to mention that my tuff is currently level with my walkways and pavement and I'm reading that your tuff should, ideally, be about an inch or so below those structures. Both of those things are going to reduce the amount of topsoil I'm going to need delivered, I just don't know by how much.

Just looking for someone to give me a little feedback on how that would work - assuming that the sod cutting cleaves off that much of my dirt in the process.

(still trying to figure this all out, lol)

Comments (5)