SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aclum

Raised Bed vs Sod replacement costs

aclum
16 years ago

Hi,

I guess this might have been posted on a number of different forums, but I feel "at home" here so I'll go ahead and post here .

Just had my douglas fir (2x6' s and 2x12's) raised beds for my main veggie garden put together today and will have 10 cu yds of county compost (100% green waste broken down very finely) put in place tomorrow for fill. I know I'll have to replace the doug fir in a few years, but at least I can now afford to get going on the garden (and will replace the wood over time). I've got 2 - 2 foot tall beds (one 5x8 and the other 3x8), and - at 6" high - 3 - 16 x 3 beds, and 2 - 16 x 5 beds (double rows of tomatoes).

The beds are going over a double layer of wet cardboard over lawn.

The beds are in an area of lawn about 1500 SF. We're paying a bunch each month for lawn mowing (I'm disabled enough not to be able to mow the lawn myself easily) and have wanted to reduce the lawn area on our lot. The landscape company gave us an estimate of about $1/sf to remove the sod, kill anything growing there, put down landscape cloth and cover with mulch. My raised beds, including delivery of materials, construction, and delivery and placement of compost came to less than $750. So, much to my (pleasant) surprise, it's about half as much to put in raised beds than it is to take out lawn and replace it with mulch (at least in our area and using the cardboard method to kill the grass).

I'm now thinking about expanding into the more public areas of our yard - putting in low maintence but attractive "edible landscaping." We're on a corner lot with about an 80' long 10' wide grass strip to the side of the house along a dead-end street. I plan to put in raised beds with artichoke plants, landscape cloth and a drip system. VERY low maintenance. In the small square of lawn between our driveway and the neighbors, I may do a wildflower or sunflower bed. Any other ideas for low-maintenace but attractive raised bed options for public view? I think whatever I put in would probably be more appealing than wood chips or gravel.

This is a house we recently moved into and the sprinkler system has 9 zones and widely spaced sprinkler heads. I'm planning to remove all the sprinkler heads in the veggie areas, install risers and pipe thread to hose thread connectors for soak hose. I'll just let the grass die off between the beds - or maybe put down landscape cloth with a wood chip covering ($5/cu yd from the county landfill).

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention this. I, frankly, was impressed by the fact that I could have great raised beds for veggies for about 50% of what I might have to spend to take out "useless" lawn area I'd just have to have mowed and watered for no good reason.

FWIW!

Anne

Comments (8)