SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

preparing to reseed dead patches

Hello gentlemen,

I have a south facing, pretty much all day full sun TTTF and KBG lawn that suffered badly from the drought here in Columbus, OH last summer (at least there was a drought in my neighborhood--other areas would get rain, but we rarely did!). I didn't wake up to the problem soon enough and lost large patches of grass-- mostly the fine bladed grass which I think is the TTTF. There are still many clumps and areas of the thicker bladed grass alive interspersed with the dead.

Last fall, after mulch mowing the leaves I did a final mowing at 1.5".

Today I took advantage of a break in the near-constant snow that we've had this winter to rake out some late falling leaves that were matted in the dead patches. (I had been advised that now would be a good time to spread some seed since I couldn't do it last fall). I found that there was really more dead area than I thought and that the dead grass was also matted down. I raked these areas, and did rake up a fair amount of dead grass but left a lot (no longer matted) too.

Now, I suspect that I know the answer but hope springs eternal...

So, do I need to really aggressively remove

the remaining dead grass, or is it possible to reseed with more TTTF and KBG in and on top of the thinned out dead stuff?

Thanks, Raee

Comments (2)