SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waterer

Requesting advice installing a new lawn

waterer
10 years ago

Hello. I am hoping to get some guidance on how to seed/sod a new lawn BEFORE I mess up. I was about to rototill until I read here that I shouldn't. Then, I realized I shouldn't trust the book I read.

The following are important to me, in order.
1. water efficiency
2. less maintenance
3. looks/feel
4. durability (little foot traffic, no pets)

Here are the parameters.
Location: new yard (no previous grass) in Albuquerque, NM (very dry)
Temperatures: 90F average high in July, 26F average low in January
Precipitation: >1 inch in July through October
Watering: underground sprinkler system
Sun: intense but afternoon only
Size of lawn: 30' long (north to south) and 15' wide
Soil: awaiting soil test results, but it compacts very hard. I've leveled it by scraping off bumpy area.

I will add soil test results in about a week, but I am hoping to get some advice to help plan ahead.

1. Which grass should I seed/sod? Bluegrass and tall fescue sods are available locally. I bought into the "ultra low maintenance" promise and bought some Pearls Premium Sunny mix.

2. Which month should I seed or sod?

3. I read that it's better to sod than seed in the spring. Is it still feasible to seed in the spring if my priorities lead me to a different grass than what's available as sods here?

4. What do I do about the really hard soil underneath? Two hours into the "jar test" I have 1/3 sand, 2/3 silt, and some significant clay suspended in water (can't see through the water at all). I am thinking of rototilling about 2", covering the lawn area with 2" of compost, and then mixing the loose dirt with the compost.

5. Better wait for the soil test results before asking about soil amendments.

Of course, if there's a good summary post, I'd appreciate some reading assignment. Thank you.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths