SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atash_gw

Need help selecting raspberry cultivars...

atash
16 years ago

Here are the qualities that I want in raspberries:

* everbearing

* self-supporting!! I think this tends to be true of everbearers. I actually have a support system but I would prefer to minimize intervention on my part.

* berries must be big enough to be useable and must be FIRM not dry and crumbly. I bought "Heritage" which has to be about the worst berry in my garden, producing mostly tiny dry berries that shatter in your hand when you try to harvest them (ironically, one of the better flavored ones! Probably because they are dry). They are close to 100% culls in my garden. I think this one is going to get ejected.

* FULL FLAVORED. Now this was one issue that many description were honest about as many of them prominently say very MILD flavored (as if it were a selling point). Many of them are in fact quite bland. I like a good balance of sweet and sour with a strong raspberry (ionine is the chemical) fragrance.

I am less concerned about production than quality. Lots of bland or unusable fruit would not go over well. They need to be big, firm, and full-flavored.

I live in a climate where I think pretty much all raspberries are more than coldhardy enough.

I already bought several varieties from nurseries, based on their descriptions, but the descriptions are often completely inaccurate, even down to what type of raspberry they are (one summer-bearing type is almost ubiquitously sold as an everbearer, but it has weak canes that need support).

Much obliged for insights into your experiences with different cultivars.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!