SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

Does it pay to keep my Methley plum any longer?

nick_b79
9 years ago

I planted a semi-dwarf, grafted, bareroot Methley plum 4 years ago, and in that time it's gone from a 3-ft stick in the ground to a beautifully shaped 12-ft tree. I'm really impressed by how rapidly it has grown and how nicely it's shaped out.

That said, it has yet to flower, much less set fruit. What I've gathered from discussions here on Gardenweb is that, while the tree is leafbud-hardy in zone 4, the flower buds are not. I was really, really wanting a fruit-bearing tree as my ideal is an edible landscape yard.

It's also bleeding sap pretty badly this spring from a bark split on it's southern exposure that extends from the ground to 4 ft up the trunk.

Finally, it's infected with black or brown knot (not sure which exactly). I've been removing infected branches, but now I've found a golfball-sized knot on the primary leader halfway up the tree :-( I could remove it with a saw, but I'm worried that will weaken the branch. And since we're surrounded by wild plum, it will constantly be re-infected.

Is there anything left I can do, or should I give up at this point? Thanks.

Comments (8)