SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3chordwonder

What killed my plum tree and is killing my peach tree?

3chordwonder
6 years ago

I live in Southern California (Near Riverside) and have several trees that are planted on a side of my property on a 6 foot tall but pretty steep slope. These trees have been here longer than I have. The trees get water from regular sprayer irrigation about every 10 feet. SoCal had a fairly wet winter year - I don't know if any of this helps.
Anyways, the plum tree was doing great, it had a bunch of fruit on it, for the first time since I bought the house in 4 years...I didn't know it was a plum tree until it produced fruit. Left the house for a month for work trip, sprinklers were on (etc) but when I got back, the tree looked really bad. Most of the leaves had fallen off and the branches were a black color. When you bent a branch it would crack and a faint dust would come from it - there was none of the green material under the bark, and it was clearly dead. It also had sap coming out in several places. In an effort to save the tree, I heavily pruned the tree, and sprayed the black tar on the freshly cut spots. I did see what looked like a lot of damage on the trunk with tons of ants moving up/down under parts of the bark (I peeled the bark off and saw them). I sprayed that as well with the black tar spray and gave the tree more time, until everything was dead. I cut it down and the branches were very dry and light.
Now the peach tree (next to it) is doing the same thing. I've done the same thing (Cut it back quite a bit) but didn't have the tar spray for where I cut it back. I looked very closely at the branches and can see lots of very small holes. Much smaller than a pencil lead, maybe 1mm in diameter. I remember I had this problem with a nectorine tree at my old house (little holes, leaves falling off, oozing sap) and that tree died. The peach tree was doing great and had TONS of fruit, but it was pretty small.
What gives? I see some stuff that says it's a peach tree borer, but I only see the holes on the branches. Other stuff says it's a canker infection. Could it be from the ants? As far as the bugs go, the only thing I've noticed this year was an overabundance of spider webs.
Thanks for any advice!

Comments (5)