SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jentex_gw

Please help me keep my poor new dracaena alive

JenTex
10 years ago

Hi all,

The background here is that I've killed every.single.plant. I've ever been given/bought. I'm not sure what all I'm doing wrong, but I'd really like to get it right.

To that end, I'm looking for some advice. I just bought a Dracaena Limelight. I've had it for a week so far. The tips of the leaves turned black about two days after I brought it home, and the leaves are no longer as upright as they initially were. It doesn't look bad, yet, but my track record makes me think it's only a matter of time.

Here's what I've done so far:

I did repot it the first day I brought it home (mistake?). I used a Miracle Grow soil that my Lowes garden center had stocked inside with the houseplants.

After noticing the black tips, I did some reading, which led me to water again (on Tuesday) until the water ran out the drainage holes. The soil is still moist from that watering - it's now Sunday - so I haven't watered again.

I also moved the plant to a slightly warmer room with a West-facing window. The light is bright, but indirect. This room is also a little more humid because the bathroom is just off it. I keep the house around 75 degrees generally.

Am I doing anything wrong? Should I be misting, using a different type of soil, etc? Any advice is appreciated. I've attached a picture here.

Comments (9)