SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginamarina101

Please help - Dracaena has broken off!

ginamarina
14 years ago

I swear I posted this yesterday in this forum, but I can't find it. (was wondering why nobody responded!) I'm just sick over this. My fiance's corn plant took a rough ride in my truck last fall to move here, and it seemed to be doing fairly well through the winter. It started to bloom (I cut the flower stalk off and put that in water). I rolled the plant outside for a while on tuesday to get some fresh air and sun. Yesterday morning I came downstairs to find it broken off about 3' below the top. :-(

I've currently got the top, with it's 12" long leaves, balancing in a 5 gallon water jug waiting for instruction. I sealed the stump with the stuff I seal tree grafts with. There are 3 tiny buds on another branch of the stump, but the one that broke was the big tall one with all the leaves :( I'm hoping that since the root system is there that it will kick into gear and grow.

Is there hope for the top? I cut it clean and immediately put it in water for now. I've read that they will root in water or in a bag of soil wrapped around the base. I have no idea how large of one the website was talking about. This stalk is between 1/2 and 3/4" in diameter. And nearly a third of the stalk is leaves.

This poor plant has taken so much abuse from me :-( My fiance is gonna think I've got a vendetta against his poor plant!

Of the two plants that were in the pot, this was the one that was doing good... the other plant is just barely alive, and the 2 stalks continues to shrivel. I was able to pot up a sport when I moved it here last winter, but his health is still iffy at best.

Please help me if there is any chance at all in saving the top of this tree. It sounds like people have had decent luck keeping them alive - but so far I'm not scoring very well. :(

Gina

Comments (16)