SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growing_in_oh

Planting fruit trees--getting soil ready for next year

growing_in_oh
14 years ago

Hi all--

I planted one each of Honeycrisp and Goldrush apple trees and one each of Reliance and Coralstar peach 3 years ago. The Goldrush made it until this spring. The others had to be replaced after the first year. They are all dead this spring.

I have heavier soil, but made sure that the site was not a water problem. We do have a lot of wind and we are in the middle of a field with no break from it. We have lost a number of pine trees over the winters also that we have put in. Could I be losing the trees because of the wind? They never seem to get any growth even before the winter hits.

I got them from Adam County Nursery, which I believe is reputable. They were bare root and I planted them as recommended.

My question is what can I do now to the planting area to ensure the best results next spring if I replace the trees? I had always read that you should not amend too much because the roots will not venture out of the good soil into the native soil. Should I ignore that advice and till the heck out of it while adding everything I can get my hands on? The trees just never did more than just hang on, even from the start.

I have always received excellent advice from this forum in the past--just want to thank you in advance.

Kristen

Comments (19)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES