SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Anyone using mating disruption for moth control?

Scott F Smith
15 years ago

I have heard good reports on so-called mating disruption programs for codling moth and oriental fruit moth. All you do is hang pheromone dispensers in your trees and they flood your orchard with female moth pheromone all season long which keeps the males from detecting the real pheromone and so they can't find the females. No mating means no next generation of moths. This method is not touted for backyard growers, but if there are no other fruit trees nearby (300 yards) they should work.

I am going to try this in the coming year since it is a zero-poisons method which will also let me cut down my numbers of sprays by a bunch (I hope). I have only one fruit tree in a nearby neighbor yard and I am going to ask them to let me put some pheromones in their tree as well (it will also help their moth problem so it should not be hard to convince them).

Has anyone else tried mating disruption for a backyard orchard? The biggest downside seems to be the cost. It is going to cost me something like $30 per year for the three years worth of stuff that I bought this year. I noticed several large ads for mating disruption products in the latest Fruit Grower magazine, so the pros seem to be getting into this approach big time now.

Scott

Comments (22)