SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curiositykat

silk moth mating troubles

curiositykat
10 years ago

I have luna, polyphemus, promethea, and cecropia moths this spring, which is a big step up as I only had cecropias last spring 0.o. So far luna and polyphemus moths have emerged. I have 1 male and 5 female lunas. My one male is more or less at the end of his life. There were two separate matings but oddly both lasted only a couple hours. Has anyone had this happen and what was the outcome? I know they usually stay connected the entire following day. So will some of the eggs be fertile from a short mating? Or is it basically just wait and see lol.

I also have 5 polyphemus moths emerged, 3 males and 2 females. Hopefully with a few more on the way. So far none of them have mated and I am worried the females are going to start laying unfertilized eggs soon. Any guess what I am doing wrong? They are all in a collapsible clothes hamper in the same room as the lunas, who have their separate hamper. I'm sure keeping them indoors isn't ideal but I'm in an apartment and it is what it is. I open the window at night and use a box fan to push as much fresh air into the room as I can. Do they need to be outside? Am I confusing them or something lol?

The cecropia and promethea have not emerged yet.

So any advice, suggestions, or criticism would be helpful ;)

Thanks,
CuriosityKat

Comments (4)

Sponsored