SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

looking for apple varieties to topwork my existing trees

glenn_russell
13 years ago

Hi Everyone-

I know I should probably post this in the exchange area, but I know all of you better! :-)

I would like to graft/top-work few other varieties this year to some of my existing trees. I have a grafting knife, parafilm tape, and took a one night grafting class last year at

the local university, so I have just enough to be dangerous. I'm thinking I'll probably use a cleft graft for simplicity.

Here are the varieties I'm interested in adding:

1.) Rhode Island Greening

2.) Pink Lady

3.) Cox Orange Pippen

4.) Gold Rush

Varieties I hope to be able to offer in exachange:

1.) Williams Pride

2.) Granny Smith

3.) Liberty

4.) Honeycrisp *

5.) Ashmed's Kernel *

6.) Spitzenburg *

7.) Enterprize *

8.) Yellow Transparent 5-1

9.) Courtland 5-1

10.) Summer Red 5-1

11.) McIntosh 5-1

12.) Red Delicious 5-1

Note: Varieties with a * next to them are still relatively young, and so I'm not sure how much pencil-sized wood I'll have when I start pruning. Same for the 5-1 varieties.

I'm willing to trade/pay whatever you think is fair, and I have a Paypal account.

I usually prune around early March, though the date will probably be determined by when the snow melts and when I start feeling spring is around the corner. Does that sound like an optimal time for me to collect the wood? And then place it in a plastic bag with a damp papper towel in the crisper? And then mail it all in an appropriate envelope? Should I disinfect?

I know the best time to do the grafting is when the understock begins to grow, but I'm not sure how that translates to bud stages? Would that still be during silver tip? Or 1/2 green? etc?

Thanks all!

-Glenn

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996