SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

Did an inside remodel last year, outside needs a lot of help..

lmhall2000
15 years ago

{{gwi:21087}}

That's the outside of the front, I figured I'd work on the front first and then make it around to the back..

I've never had boxwoods or hollies (not sure what those green round bushes are) and really not sure how to prune them or when or what tool would be best...I've been letting them grow this year to see if I can get them all cut to an average size...behind them are nandinas that kind of get hidden but atleast they fill in...on the garage side of the house which you can't see are prickly lorapetalum (sp?) or something similar that were abused by the drought we had last year and not sure I want to keep them...but I need something with height..I'd like to rip out all the lorapetalum stuff and replace...

At the front of our front stairs there are two large prickly maroon (lorapetalum?) bushes that are a beast, but next to boxwoods what would give a welcoming appeal to our entrance? This side of the house faces North and we do have large oak trees out front...very large oak trees...but some sun does get in there...

{{gwi:21088}}

I was gifted with about 300 tulip bulbs coming in about 3 weeks and I need to find a way to make a big tulip bed...I don't have the patience to plant pockets here and there..figured one big annual bed somewhere around the front or two...

I'm inspired by the homes in New Orleans (lots of boxwoods with azaleas sprinkled in..just not sure if I should put the azaleas in front or behind the bushes....or if they'll get the needed sun

Sorry to be so long, just have no clue how to dress this landscaping up...we're in North Alabama (zone 7 in some books)

Would love help!!

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!