SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_stl

Update on last year's design help request

Lauren_StL
17 years ago

Hi all. I tried to find my post from last July requesting suggestions on my side perennial garden. I can't find it which is a bummer because I was just going to post how it looks this summer at the end so everyone could see how it looked last year, what everyone suggested (and I had many wonderful suggestions and critiques) and now how it looks this year. So, I'll put a few pictures of before (last end of July) and then put the pictures of it now. I'm still not totally happy, but I think it's definitely moving in the right direction.

Here's some Before Pictures:

{{gwi:264604}}

{{gwi:264605}}

{{gwi:264607}}

To summarize the main comments and suggestions from you all:

1. It needed something to break up the siding.

2. It needed a focal point (garden ornament were the main suggestions)

3. Needed less white flowers up against the siding (they blended in too much) and more diversity of bloom time (mainly suggested planting spring bulbs --not planted in a line!! :)

So, I moved the majority of the white flowers out of the bed or to the middle of the bed, added a rose bush in the center of the bed at the back (still pretty small), planted two clematis on each side of the window (that's the wierd looking things hanging the length of the wall - I ran out of time and funds this spring and that was my makeshift trellis - it was terrible, but turns out my clematis are taking this summer to get established and they haven't grown much), and added a birdhouse courtesy of my 7 year old son!

So I said I'd check back in with the results of everyone's throughtful suggestions last year---bet you all didn't believe me :)! Here they are, feel free to continue to suggest things. Like I said - I'm still not totally happy with it (could be the awful drought we've had and the month of 100+ temps), but I certainly like it better this year than last. Thanks again to all who took the time last year to provide suggestions.

{{gwi:264608}}

{{gwi:264609}}

{{gwi:264611}}

{{gwi:264614}}

Just wanted you all to see how it's changed based on your input. I ( and my neighbors ) appreciate it.

Lauren

Comments (32)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company