SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patiomaiden

Finding designer to update 20-year old community landscape

patiomaiden
16 years ago

I'm the Landscaping Committee chairman for my community's homeowner association. Our small community of 44 townhomes was built in 1986 and, in my opinion, is ready for at least a small immediate facelift as well as a totally new master plan that we will incrementally transition towards as current trees/shrubs die off.

Although I am a novice home gardener, I am not expert enough to know what plants to choose that will conform to our desired new landscape (low maintenance, seasonal color, drought resistant). I would like to obtain at least three design ideas from master gardeners (not necessarily tied to local nurseries) to present to our homeowners. Problem is, our Board has spent the minimum for landscaping services over the years and so is less than enthusiastic about spending money for design services, much less multiple design ideas.

The design service needed would be mostly providing suggestions for plant replacements, and very little in the way of structural changes since we're limited in what we can do.

Could someone suggest tips on how to find master gardeners in my area (Alexandria VA) and what I should expect as far as design fees? I'm also wondering if there may be students out there trying to earn their "master gardener" degree who might be eager for a "design project" like ours...how would I go about linking up with them?

Comments (17)

Sponsored