SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nascent_bud

Potatoes wilting/brown spot: don't think it's blight but...

Nascent_Bud
9 years ago

Hello!

I tried to find answers with the details I'll set forth in a bit. No luck. I am hoping my potatoes are just dying off and are ready to harvest. But I'm a newbie. So here are details.

-Planted around mid-Feb, organic soil, 18 gal pot
-yukon gold seed potatoes, early harvest, 65 days (bought from Home Depot)
-Watered every other day, when soil felt dry
-Hilled with more soil (where do I buy straw in the Bay Area?)
-Didn't deal with the brown spots :(
-Never flowered
-Potatoes look pretty but thin skinned
-No concentric rings on spots
-I'm a new gardener

I want to say I planted these seed potatoes in mid-Feb. I'm in Northern Calif. They are Yukon Gold seed potatoes. On the package it says, Early Season Harvest, 65 days Harvest (got them at Home Depot).

I planted them in an 18 gall. pot with just organic soil and I have no idea where to buy straw so I just used more dirt to hill them. I watered every other day, when the soil felt dry (too much watering?).

They did well. The pic of nice green leaves were in Mid-Apr. Then around end of April I noticed brown spots. I didn't do anything. Then it got worst. Then the leaves started to wilt, droop a lot. I never saw the plant flower. Naturally, I became a little down at my neglect for the brown spots.

I think it's brown spots, but I don't think it's blight. I read potato blight has concentric rings. But maybe it's a diff type of blight...?

So I harvested a few potatoes this morning to see if they look diseased. I didn't count the exact days of how long the potatoes have been growing. But 65 days puts it around early-March. I'm pretty sure I planted the seeds around then or before. However..the potatoes look beautiful! It's just that the skins are thin. Which someone mentioned means they are immature... I ate a few for breakfast. They taste wonderful.

So you can see my confusion.

Questions:
Are these blight? fungus, brown spots?
Or Are my potato plants almost done producing, dying off, but just never flowered?
Do I leave the potatoes in longer for the skin to mature, though the leaves look bad?

Thank you! I love growing my own food! Just started this Feb! :) :)

Mid-April (looks healthy!)
{{gwi:52615}}

Wilting/droopy
{{gwi:52616}}

Brown spots 1
{{gwi:52617}}

Brown spots 2
{{gwi:52618}}

Harvested this morning:
{{gwi:52619}}

This post was edited by Nascent_Bud on Sat, May 17, 14 at 12:57

Comments (5)