SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vajeff

Potato blight

vajeff
12 years ago

Here's the story. It's my second year of growing vegetables. I was given some seed potatos this year and decided to give it a shot to see what happens.

A week ago my potato plants started to turn yellow. I thought it might be a nitrogen deficiency, so I fed them. Now they're turning green again. However... there are brown speckles covering the leaves. This happened sometime between last night and last Tuesday's freak hurricane-like storm. Whatever it is seems to only affect the plants in the raised bed (so far). The ones planted in large buckets next to the bed are fine, except for a bit of yellowing. Pictures linked below.

{{gwi:52508}}

Still a little yellow, but this was the best example I could clearly (well, somewhat) capture.

{{gwi:52509}}

This was the largest spot I could find. It definitely has a thin, dark brown ring around it if looked at up close.

If it is blight, can it be treated with fungicide? Is there any hope of saving them? Should I transplant all tomatos to another area? I know, I know... don't plant tomatos near potatos, but I didn't know at the time. Could I cut all the top growth back to healthy growth, treat with fungicide regularly, and hope they grow back healthy? I guess, if worse came to worse, I could just toss those eggplants I can't find room for in those spots... unless eggplant is related to tomatos/potatos too.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (7)