SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whatupdun

Direct Sunlight and Hills/Mountains

whatupdun
11 years ago

How can I determine when and where hills will limit direct sun exposure?

I'm in the market for a new home. I want to use a lot of the land to grow vegetables, both for home consumption and once everything's dialed in, for farmer's markets and such.

My first attempt growing was at a townhouse in 2011. In that shaded backyard, I learned how important direct sun exposure is for production.

This prompted me to move to a larger home with a 'full' backyard (in scare quotes because the whole lot is something like 5000sqft; typical new suburban construction). I enjoyed my first significant gardening successes here.

Still, shadows from homes including my own cut into every day. The winter is particularly affected, with as little as 4-5 hours direct exposure around the solstice.

The place I'm seriously considering is a little over 2 acres. The lot is in a hilly, borderline mountainous area.

The plots we intend to plant would slope downward facing north and northwest. I don't believe these are steep enough to lose more than maybe 1-2 hours direct exposure.

I spent some time watching mountains off in the distance yesterday evening. I believe what I saw in the shadows means we'll be in good shape. Just want to make sure I'm thorough in my research before I buy the property, especially with how disappointed I was two years ago.

Thanks!

Comments (10)