SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdawson79

Large Covered Back Porch -- Need Ideas for More Natural Light

Paige
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hey ya'll! My husband I have finally decided on a modern farmhouse plan that we love and are building in about 15 months. I know that sounds like forever, but I'm super OCD, so I must have everything figured out before we break ground! I've attached a photo of the original plan and front view rendering. Although we've made some changes, the two areas of concern remain the same.

The plan has a 6'9" deep front porch that goes across the entire front of the house, as well as a large 20' x 21' covered back porch that runs the entire length of the great room.

My dilemma is this... While I'm not as concerned about the front, how in the world are we gonna get any natural light in the great room?? I don't need it to pour in, mind you, but I would like some. FYI, we will have white 3'' plantation shutters on all windows, walls will be a very light, airy color with white trim, and we'll have hardwood floors in a medium tone as well.

We absolutely want to keep the covered porch where it is and we want an outdoor fireplace -- this is in central Alabama, so we've gotta watch football out there (WAR EAGLE!! ...just saying.) ;)

I'd love to know what you guys think... what options do I have?

Thanks, ya'll!!

Comments (55)