SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fierce_flawless

Re-do brick walkways or try and save?

fierce_flawless
16 years ago

I live in a 93 year old "cottage" and I've lived here just over a year. The previous owners put in brick walkways in front, from the sidewalk to the stairs, and from the landing in front of the stairs out to the right to the driveway. They also put in a very long brick walkway in the back from the rear paver "patio" all the way to the back gate (for dragging trash cans/shed access). Check out this thread (by me) for a picture:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/newgard/msg0522400620939.html?2

It was freshly done when we bought the house and looked nice. Soon after it started shifting and now is uneven and ratty looking, with weeds and crabgrass all over.

The question I have is, should I pull them all up and do them again "the right way" (not sure what that way is but I don't think the PO's knew either), or should I just use those pre-formed molds from Home Depot and do concrete "shaped" walkways? My mom used these in and around her house and they look pretty nice. She mixed in rock at the time so they aren't "just" concrete and she tinted the concrete and used different colors so it's almost a stone look. But cheaper.

What's the general opinon? I think that brick "goes better" with an old house but I don't think I really have time to redo all this if it's labor intensive (and it sounds like it would be). Alternatively is there a way to fix it up without pulling it all out first? I just want it fairly smooth and not overgrown with this and that.

Comment (1)