SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbrook_gw

red brick ranch needs a complete landscape re-do

Lbrook
11 years ago

Please help! We moved into this house two years ago; have been spending all of our free time and $$$ on the interior. This year we get to tackle the exterior and hope to give the house some desperately needed curb appeal and an overall friendlier presentation to the neighborhood.

First some dimensions: the distance between the curb and the nearest part of the house (garage) is 80 feet. The slate patio shown in front of the front and mud room doors is 7 ft wide x 22 ft long. The area that is currently occupied by overgrown hedges is 22 ft deep by 37 ft long. We are in central NJ, zone 6b.

The main problems to address (in my opinion - feel free to add your own!) are: (1) planning a landscape that draws your eye to the front door - currently is quite hidden by the bushes; (2) soften the large span of brick on the far right side of the house; (3) remove the edges and replant; possibly including a seating area; (4) improve the view from the kitchen window - noting that once the large hedges are removed from current landscape, the blacktop will be visible from the ktchen window [this is the 3-panel window between front and mudroom doors]; (5) avoid feeding the deer! it is not uncommon to find a half dozen deer strolling through the front yard, and (6) minimize appearance of the driveway from the street.

In addition to new plantings, we expect to have budget to replace the slate patio, garage door and soffet/gutters. Thoughts on colors and materials would be most helpful. Sadly, do not expect to have budget to replace the driveway with a more attractive material. The playset will be removed.

One last thought - though the house has some mid-century modern elements and strong horizontal lines, we are favoring more of a natural landscape plan to keep consistent with the overall lot which is heavily wooded behind the house.

I don't know how to post multiple photos on one post. The picture attached here shows the house viewed from the street. Will create additional posts to share 3 more photos (1) close-up of slate patio; (2) close-up of hedges; and (3) view from the kitchen window.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my long post!

Comments (25)