SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gjshawk

I'm learning a lot...

gjshawk
10 years ago

This year I first learned about square foot gardening, and got started with 5 raised beds. Then I learned about the Grow Box, which is a sub-irrigated planter, when I got a flyer from Gurneys with my seeds. I ordered three of them. I used the same soil mix in the Grow Boxes that I used in the raised beds, and so far so good. Tomatoes and peppers are doing great.

Then I found out about Global Buckets, which is an easy and inexpensive way to make your own SIPs from 5 gallon buckets. I have two of those, with tomatoes in them. Most of my gardening revolves around tomatoes because I love to eat them.

I also learned about the rain gutter SIP method, and want to try it, but I am waiting for next season because it's getting a little late in the year for planting new stuff, and I'm running out of money.

I'm also learning about automating the watering system with float valves and such, making life even easier.

I'm impressed with the SIP gardening method, and plan next year to convert the raised beds to sub-irrigation.

I don't really have a question, just an observation. There are so many ways to grow great vegetables that it's hard to pick a favorite. Too bad more people aren't using container gardening for their patios and other spaces that remain empty when they could be enjoying fresh veggies and fruits.

I've included a photo of my Global Buckets. They are a little different, which will educate me even more on which way I prefer. Have a great day, or as they say in old cheezy Japanese sci-fi movies, "I wish you happiness!"

Comments (12)