SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zart312

Need some advice on improving my lawn...

zart312
8 years ago

I've recently found this forum and been reading it none stop. Picked up a lot of good advice. I'm learning a lot from from you guys so I thought I would make a post and see what kind of advice I could get. Anyway ... I bought my house 11 months ago. It's about a half acre lot in Valparaiso Indiana. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do much in terms of lawn care since I had other issues to address. Now I've been able to get to work on my lawn. I'm not looking for a show piece type lawn but rather a durable lawn that looks nice.

No soil test yet I plan on doing that this weekend I also plan to do the jar test this weekend I believe I have very compacted clay I'm working with we just had a ton of rain and the yard is still rock hard I plan on shampooing the yard to loosen it up

As far as water goes I haven't. I know that's not good and is contributing to my problems.

I mow at 3-3/8 height I also side discharge instead of mulch. I now twice a week weather permitting What's the advantage to mulching over side discharge?

About a month ago (before I found you guys) I applied Scott's weed and feed (I know after reading the forum there are better ways to handle weeds. Won't make that mistake again) I've started spot treating with weed be gone to eliminate weeds in the yard. Im also going to spray with CCO this weekend to get rid of the clover. I've also started using round up on the bigger weeds where I want to seed this fall.

As far as fertilizer beginning of May I applied some. Then again when I did the weed and feed. However I'm now going to put down Milorganite in a week or so and start using that.

Here are pictures of what I'm working with.

By no means is it the worst on my street or awful. However I believe with some work it can be better. I want it better

Comments (5)