SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Is the plan awkward? It's me again

16 years ago

The landscape of the front of my house looks so naked (typical of new subdivision houses). Please see the picture:

The reasons why I would like to change the front landscape are the followings:

1. I love forest and woods, so like houses surrounded by big tress that create canopies.

2. I have tried so hard for two years ever since I bought the house to condition the worst clay soil by adding organic matters and fertilizers and pulling weeds. I think that those weed seeds have been embedded in the Bermuda sods already when the builder put them on, besides the worst clay soil I have (the exposed ground next to my house does not even grow weeds much). I am tired of being a full time weeder, while seeing weeds still occupy 95% of lawn. I am out of patience to see how much the lawn will be improving. It is not getting better at all, but weeds multiply too much faster than I can handle. If I plant trees, the lawn size can be reduced.

I am going to move the two October Maples in the center bed to somewhere else, because they are too close together. I will make the bed a little bigger than it is now.

I prefer just adding trees and plants merely without adding other features. Would you please look at my landscape design and give it a critic. This is my first time designing landscape. I am not sure if it is ok, or it will be worse than now. We always have to consider the possibility of selling the property in the future. I don't want to alter the landscape too much towards what I like and diminish the curb appeal. Please see the pictures of the plan and its 3D rendering:

{{gwi:21524}}

{{gwi:21525}}

Do you think that the formality of tree placements on both sides and the center are ok? Are those trees too small or too big? What about the placements of the beds? The sizes of trees on both sides are gradually lower towards the front; do you think it's appealing, or it is too rigid looking? Should I plant different sizes of trees randomly? Actually any comments and/or suggestions are very welcome and needed.

Thanks

Comments (14)