SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larry_c

getting cucumbers past the beetles

larry_c
16 years ago

I have finally figured it out. The beetles have killed my crop for the last 4 years. The vines wilted and died just as the first fruit is ready. I grew weary of buying sevin dust. Besides its impossible to keep the plants dusted enough to stop the devils.

So I built a box about 30" x 8 feet x 12" high out of scrap pallet top boards. I then seed inside of the box and cover it with row cover fabric. If you get 60" wide material then it is easy to weight it down on the outside edges. This cover stays in place until the cucs are blooming ( about 60 to 70 days) I then remove the cover and build up a twine trellis on stakes placed in the corners. By then the plants seem to be strong enough to withstand some attack by the beetles and I get 2 to 3 months of production before the beetles kill them.

The only mistake that I made was letting about 30 plants grow in that space. Major cluster.

You could probably do without the box and just drape the row cover fabric over a series of stakes driven into the ground at the same height. Its important that the fabric touches the ground, and is totally closed up, to block the critters since they have nothing else to do all day except destroy our crops while we work.

I am wondering if I could wrap a tomato cage and get a similar effect for a hill of 3 to 4 plants. I have some old rusty ones that need cutting off anyway.

Good fabric will last for years since it is only exposed for a few moths each year :)

CrAzY LaRrY

Comments (34)