SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Getting ready to battle cucumber beetles

anney
13 years ago

Well, today I saw the first cucumber beetle on my Caserta squash, which I've planted as a trap crop for the buggers!

{{gwi:52656}}

I was able to harvest nine 6-7" small squash, three of which were badly pollinated. Those are the ones I'm using as the lure for cuke beetles.

My dispatcher of the cuke beetles is Red Dye #28 this year. So here are the easy steps:

{{gwi:52657}}

Red Dye #28 ordered from the internet, which is widely used and approved for human consumption and cosmetics. It is phototoxic to cucumber beetles which are attracted to the lure. See the link further down the post. I had to order two of the dye packet to reach the required minimum order, so it will be enough to last for years!

{{gwi:52658}}

A food storage container and water for mixing the dye.

{{gwi:52659}}

The Caserta squash I'll use to lure the beetles.

{{gwi:52660}}

The dye and water mixed. I used a quarter teaspoon of the dye, which is dry, and a quarter cup of water. I think half that amount of the dye will be quite sufficient, but we'll see how this does.

{{gwi:52662}}

Casertas sliced into boats and placed cut surface down in the dye solution.

{{gwi:52664}}

One minute later, the cherry red colored zucchini boats are ready.

I put the lid on the remaining dye solution and refrigerated it for the next batch of zucchini boats. I put the dyed zucchini into a pie tin and slid them under the Caserta squash leaves to protect them from the sun and maybe rain.

Now, to wait and see if this solution kills the cucumber beetles that I have no doubt are on the way.

Comments (9)