SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimster_gw

Cucumber Beetle Solutions?

jimster
14 years ago

Just planning ahead, trying to have a successful crop of cukes this year. I've had trouble with cucumber beetles or, more specifically, with the bacterial wilt they carry. The beetles attack the emerging plants almost immediately, eating the seed leaves. This infects the plants and, even though the plants may make some growth, they collapse and die before I get a crop.

Here are some possible solutions:

1. Cucumber Beetle trap - Anny from Georgia has posted about her experiments with trapping the beetles. Search for those threads. Really interesting. I have obtained the materials necessary to make those traps. But can I catch them before they do their deed on my young plants?

2. Plant later in the season - Cucumber beetles are said to finish their life cycle some time in mid summer IIRC. Apparently, if cukes are planted later than other summer crops, the beetles will be gone.

3. Use row cover - Row cover would be 100% effective, at first anyway. It would need to be removed when the plants start blooming. Would it have served its purpose by then?

What has been successful for you?

Jim

Comments (20)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor