SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pghgardnewbie

Advice for growing a plum in a container?

pghgardnewbie
13 years ago

Hello friends,

I am new to the forum, but I have found many interesting conversations about soil- I never knew that there were so many variations! I confess that I have been using commercial potting soil for my containers, but I think that I will try some of your recipes and see what happens!

My question, if you can help, is this. I ordered a Chicago Fig (hardy to my zone, but doomed to be in a container and overwintered inside). What I ended up, though, was an All Red, Purple leaf Plum. Apparently they switched boxes, and sent my fig to another customer. They don't want it back (too expensive to reship). I believe that it is a Japanese variety, and it is full sized, not a dwarf or semi dwarf. Right now it is in a quart sized pot, and very healthy.

So, here is my dilemma. I have a very small yard (less than 400 sq feet). I don't have any place to grow this plum in the ground, but I have wanted one forever. Could I grow it in a pot for a few years, or even indefinitely, and still have a healthy plant? I don't even really care if I get a high yield of fruit (though it would be nice). I just love the showy flowers in the spring, and it would be so nice to have one, even if it is only for a short time.

So, should I find the biggest pot that I can find, mix up some potting soil and try my luck? Can you advise me on how to give it the best fighting chance? I have only grown tomatoes in containers, so I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of growing. Any help would be really appreciated- even if you just point me in the right direction! I have been searching the archives, but I haven't found a lot of info about this particular situation.

Thanks!

Jenny in PA, Zone 6

Comments (6)