SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chefrobert_gw

Grow Medium,Fertilizer & Supplement Advice for Container Tomatoes

chefrobert
14 years ago

Hello all,

I have intermediate knowledge about gardening and I was hoping to receive some advice from the veterans here about my particular system. Specifically, what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong. I'm going to start growing cherry tomatoes in containers. I have several sized grow vessels ranging from seed starter trays to 5-gallon pots.

My grow medium will probably be Al's 5-1-1 mix (5 parts partially composted pine bark, 1 part sphagnum peat, 1 part perlite).

I have the following fertilizers and supplements:

-Dyna-Gro Foilage Pro 9-3-6

-Liquid Potash (K20) plus Kelp with 2% Sulfur 0-0-8

-Liquid Lime: Calcium Carbonate (17%) & Calcium Oxide (9.8%) along with Magnesium Carbonate (14%) and Magnesium Oxide (6.7%) - though the totals display 7% Calcium and 4% Magnesium... go figure.

My questions are:

1) Is the potting mix suitable for container tomatoes, or is there something better? If the moist mixture clumps into a ball, can I add more perlite to encourage better drainage?

2) Should I feed my plants once every 2 weeks or once per week, and at what strength? Does the age of the plant have anything to do with the strength of the nutrients? Of course the answer is yes, but please break it down for me.

3) I've noticed that you're not supposed to mix Lime with Fertilizer because of some chemical reaction that takes place which limits absorption of nutrients. How much of my Lime supplement per gallon of water would be needed between feedings?

4) A garden shop employee mentioned that bonemeal(P205) 0-12-0 would be helpful for tomatoes. Is this true, and if so when and how much would I apply?

5) I realize that high P fertilizers are useless and it's actually better to lower N at the time of budding/fruiting. How do you lower N with a 9-3-6 fertilizer? I know it has something to do with adding Potash, but is that all? Please make me understand.

To those of you who reply, thank you very much!

Comments (7)