SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trailwest

Advice for a Tomato Container Garden

trailwest
12 years ago

A friend asked for advice for the her tomato container garden. She has two medium sized tomato plants in dark containers in the full sun on a white limestone patio.

Here is what I told her:

Pros: The plants get full sun from morning to dusk and are protected from winds by the fences. The patio reflects light and adds to the total sunlight they plants can get. The containers are large and should accomodate a full grown tomato plant. The basil is a good plant-combining touch and will complement the tomato both while growing and for making Italian food.

Cons: The plants are in dark containers which will lead to high temperature variations for the roots of the plants. An organic farmer once told me that one of the most important tricks for growing great tomatoes in very hot climates like ours is to make sure their "feet" remain at a constant temperature and that they don�t get too hot. There are many that will tell you that if the roots of tomato plant get over 70 degrees (F), the plant will not set fruit. They will grow like crazy but you will get no tomatoes.

Did I give good advice? Do you have any other tips?

Comments (25)