SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derbyka

Advice for burying tomato containers and maintaining wicking?

derbyka
12 years ago

I have now have a second community garden plot (5'x30') after being on the wait list for awhile and am planning to plant tomatoes (transplants because it is late in the season). I want to do 4 sweet 100s and 4 yellow pears plus maybe a few full size determinants (any suggestions? - thinking about better boy or early girl). I was planning on trying to do these in-ground along the back of the plot along a trellis to leave room for things like sweet potatoes in front. I know how big these things get - in the past I have squeezed 2 sweet 100s in a 22 inch pot and they regularly get over 8 feet. The park district provides free composted horse manure and for my first plot, I applied about 5-6 inches in addition to green sand, dolomite, bone/blood meal, coffee grounds, and a little bit (relatively speaking) of peat and perlite. This seems to have worked out well for my other veggies and I was hoping that the same amendments would allow me to plant the tomatoes in ground in the second plot. I pulled out some old, dying tomatoes from one of the unused plots today and the nematode damage was horrendous! Plus, while I have people seem to get semi-decent tomatoes, their plants often look slightly yellow and seem to die off prematurely. This has led to the conclusion (after reading through a lot of debate in old posts) that I probably need to do the tomatoes in containers. I have 3-4 large rubber made containers with 1.5 inch holes I cut in the bottom that I have used in the past for other things. I also have the aforementioned 22" pot. I would like to sink these in the ground along the back of the bed so that I have a uniform appearance, stability, insulation, and maximum height usage out of the trellis. What is the best way to do this to minimize risk of nematodes and to make sure that drainage is ok? I am assuming that I want the holes directly against the dirt in order to create wicking? Should I put a layer of something like newspaper under the containers so that wicking is maintained but the nematodes are blocked? Also, I feel like this has a lot of disadvantages that I don't see but...what about creating a ditch along the back of the plot, lining the ditch with newspaper or cardboard, and then lining that with a tarp or plastic with many drainage holes cut into it? I could then fill this with a mix equivalent or similar to what I would use in the containers. I guess it would be a kind of variation on a raised bed. What are the flaws I am not seeing/would it keep the nematodes out?

Comments (13)