SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
italyvespa

How to make landscape design flexible w/poss future construction

italyvespa
13 years ago

I live in Austin, TX. I am a first time homebuyer and have waited 3 years to really begin thinking about the outside of my house. This past weekend, a surprise truck sale was announced with special California varieties of plants (plants you can't normally buy here) and I jumped on it. Now I'm concerned, mainly about 2 trees I bought (a Yucca and a Grevillea 'Long John'). Here's why:

- My husband and I have brainstormed on the possibilities of our yard space going towards everything from a home addition to a studio in back to a carport on side/back to a privacy wall in front. We have never formulated any solid plans for our outside space. And we don't have the money to do any of this right now. Minimum we're talking 2-3 years down the road for one of these projects.

- The dirt at my house is clay and I know the best way to provide a fertile environment is to bring in more dirt. In the front, we would like to eventually building a retaining wall to level off our yard and keep our "good dirt" (only compost for now) from eroding with every rainfall. I imagine at this time we might actually consider buying dirt to level off the area.

QUESTION: How do I plan my landscape design (again, especially worried about the two trees because I don't want to transplant them in a few years - they are already large now) and keep it flexible enough for any of the structures listed above without just reverting to "safe" planting, meaning just keeping it boring and only planting the trees around the perimeter of my backyard? How do you keep it flexible?

Comments (13)