SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmon_gw

Kitchen Design Help Needed - New Construction

Harmon
10 years ago

Future wife (gf) and I are building a house and have selected this floor plan. Posted it over in the "Building a Home" forum and several people suggested posting over here for feedback on the kitchen. I have received some helpful suggestions already in the other forum.

GF really wants an island and wants to make sure we have sufficient upper cabinets. I'm leaning one of two ways with the kitchen:

(1) Keep basic current design but move the wall between the great room/living room (LR) and kitchen one foot to the left so that there will be 42" instead of 36" clearance between the cabinets and island. I realize 48" would be better but don't want to add square footage to the house and would rather not take the living room down to 17' wide.

Would probably also move some things around such as the refrigerator to the other end of the counter, and per other forum members suggestions move the cook top to the opposite counter. (We are using a cook top & wall oven rather than range as depicted.)

I prefer a more open design so I would like to nix or at least cut down the partial wall between the LR & kitchen, but I don't see how to with this design and still maintain some upper cabs, room for all appliances and room for the island.

(2) Go completely open design. (I'm leaning towards this, but it will be a hard sell to GF unless the island is spectacular.) Perhaps make the counters an L-shaped design closing off the entrance between the kitchen and Hall/Utility areas, and then adding a large island with sink as a divider between the LR & kitchen. I would like an island something like the pictures below, but have no idea how much that would cost.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations