SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agngg

Stem of container squash split and HELLO!!

15 years ago

Hi!! My name is Grace and I just found this forum a couple weeks ago. I've been lurking and finding some wonderful information! I'm very new to gardening and starting with lots of containers. I've been doing a ton of research and learning a whole lot! So I just wanted to introduce myself.

Now I need help!! lol

I planted 2 Grey Squash plants in these pretty small containers. I started the seeds in little mini plastic pots and transpanted each one into a trough-like container that is 14in long, 7 inches wide and 6 inches deep. I know the size too small but I just wanted to see what would happen.

They did well and grew large, lots of leaves and now lots of buds. I planted them April 2nd, the seed package said Harvest in 45 days but I got male and female flower buds in about that time.

Yesterday I went out to water them and the stem of the bigger plant has split open and spread out. I immediately thought vine borers, since I had been reading on them. I was leaving so I didn't have time to investigate and it was too dark when I got home. So this morning, 3 of the flowers completely opened. There are about 4 little squash/female flowers and several more male flowers. It doesn't look hollowed out, but like it split and stretched out, if that makes sense. I can't find my camera to take a pic right now but at least wanted to put the question out there. I'll post one as soon as I can find it.

It looks like the smaller plant is about to do the same thing...should I cut that stem open to check for bugs?

Also, some of the lower leaves have yellowed and I've cut them off. All of the upper leaves looked fine.

I don't have any wilting either. The only time it has wilt was when the temps reached 92 this weekend but water perked them right up.

Another question I have is...can a stem split from the stress of being in too small of a container? Since it just flowered, should I leave it alone or transplant it now?

Thanks for any advice you can offer, I will upload pics asap!!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths