SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larry_c

Vertical squash to TRY to stop squash vine borers

larry_c
14 years ago

Yes someone in my neighborhood must breed these critters. (looks away and says surely not me) In any event they infest my crop every year. So my thought.

I have a box about 30" square, 2" x 2" in each corner run 7 feet tall with top boards that forms a square trellis. It has steel wire wrapped around the 2" x 2" on about 12" centers. I have Snow peas growing here now which will be done in mid June. So I could sow a couple of yellow crook neck squash for transplant when the peas finish.

The thought is to grow the squash vertically and then be able to completely protect that base of the plant. The bottom boards are about 6" high. I could pin row cover fabric to these boards and basically make the stems entrance into the ground non-accessible.

So the question is will this stop the SVB or will they just lay eggs in the lowest part of the vine that they can get to ?

This would also make me much more comfortable with Sevin dusting the vine base as the squash would form up in the air.

This may also deter the dreaded squash bug since the vines would be off of the ground.

Comments (27)