SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenturtles6

Pumpkin Emergency! (Squash Vine Borers)

greenturtles6
9 years ago

This is an Iowan gardener who desperately needs your help.
I week ago, I noticed a few leaves on one of my vines turning yellow. I didn't think much of it, until I checked on them again today and noticed some cuts in the stems. I cut off a leaf- BAM! To my horror, I discovered an inch long squash borer larvae. (I found two others later on)

Is there anything I can do? My garden has four pumpkin vines. Two of them are Connecticut Field Pumpkins, the other two are Jack-O-Lanterns. The vines are about 7-8 feet long, but the longest may be 9-10 feet or more.

Do my pumpkins stand a chance? I've heard there's not much you can do once they get into your plant, other than digging them out by hand by cutting open the vine. Is this effective at all, or are there too many to take out by hand?

I've been trying to grow pumpkins for the past three years. My first year, one started growing from an old Halloween Jack-O-Lantern that had been left to rot. I actually got a small pumpkin. My luck hasn't been good since I actually tried growing them on purpose. The next year I lost all of my pumpkins to a drought, and the year after all of them died from Powdery Mildew.

This is my last chance. Do they have a shot?

I can provide pictures if needed. (I am attempting to upload them at the moment.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

A gardener in need.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus