SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

C. Moschata Summer Squash Varieties Tolerant of Squash Vine Borers

We spend an inordinate amount of time here in summer discussing the horrible plague of Squash Vine Borers and their ability to completely wipe out plantings of squash and pumpkins (particular those that are Cucurbita Pepo and Cucurbita maxima) in time at all.

I've found it pretty easy to work around the issue with winter squash, choosing to grow varieties that are Cucurbita moschata (like Seminole pumpkin, Musquee de Provence, Long Island Cheese, Butternut, Lunga di Napoli, etc.) and sometimes C. argyrosperma (Green-striped cushaw, orange-striped cushaw, white cushaw, etc. ). And, if you choose, you can harvest any of the above and use them as summer squash if you harvest them very young and small (usually just a day or two or three after they bloom, are fertilized and begin to enlarge). You also can grow Tahitian melon winter squash or Trombocino squash to harvest early and young for use as winter squash, or later on as larger, mature winter squash. I'm not real fond of the taste and texture of either of those two.

I prefer to let my winter squash varieties grow and actually become winter squash, so have been growing other types of C. moschata squash that are used for summer squash. Since they aren't real well-known here in OK, I thought I'd mention them here in case anyone is looking for a summer squash variety that generally can outlive the attack of the squash vine borers.

I've grown avocado squash (so-named because the fruit do look somewhat like avocados) for 3 or 4 years now, and the two varieties I grow are Teot Bat Put and Early Bulam, both of which are hybrids. One advantage of growing these hybrids is that they've been bred to have short internode spacing which allows them to produce more fruit in less space. (Every C. moschata type of squash I've ever grown has been a really rampant grower.) Because C. moschata types of squash have solid vines, rather than the hollow vines that C. pepo and C. maxima have, the squash vine borers cannot easily tunnel their way through the vines, killing the plants in the process.

This year I've added a third variety of C. moschata summer squash to my grow list, and I'll continue to search out others. It is called Meot Jaeng I AE and it is a hybrid as well. This one is not an avocado squash. It is a Korean summer squash that looks more like a zucchini.

I'll still plant standard green-skinned zucchini and yellow summer squash in the spring for the early harvest, but I'll be counting on the varieties discussed above to continue the squash harvest throughout the summer even after the SVBs show up and do their dirty work.

I hope this info about these varieties is helpful for those of you who struggle every year with the squash vine borers. I purchased seed for these varieties from Kitazawa Seed Company. It is likely that Evergreen Seeds also carries these varieties or something like them. I've just never taken the time to wade through all the listings on their website looking for C. moschata varieties.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting