SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tedln

Squash Vine Borer

tedln
14 years ago

Last year, late in the growing season; I had an invasion of a bug that I was unable to identify. These bugs would fly out of the woods around my property in swarms late in the afternoon during the hottest part of the day. The swarms would hover over my tomato cages which had tomato vines and cucumber vines laying over the top of the cages. I could never find any form of damage to my plants and they flew more like wasps than anything else. I decided to not worry about them because they didn't seem to be hurting anything. The bugs would swarm back into the woods each day at sundown.

I was able to examine one up close this morning and noted that it was not a wasp, but some form of beatle or moth. It was about 3/4" long. It had a black head with dark gray wings that folded to the side of the body at rest. The body was a bright orange with six black dots in a straight row down the length of it's body. It seemed to fly onto the stems and leaves of my summer squash only.

When I looked it up on the internet, I found that it is a squash vine borer moth.

{{gwi:71808}}

This bug can kill your hollow vine crops by laying an egg in the soil near the base of a plant. About ten days later, the larvae emerges from the soil and bores into the vine stem near the base. At that point it enters the stem and begins to feed. The plant at this time will begin wilting and will probably die in a short time. Once a larvae enters the stem, there are practically no methods to save the vine. The most effective treatment seems to be intervening in the life cycle of the moth by placing some material like aluminum foil or black mulch cloth around the base of the plant to prevent the moth from laying the egg or prevent the larvae from emerging from the soil.

Some pesticides are effective when applied to the soil around the plant. Do not apply them to the plant. Sevin (carboryl) and Bifenthrin (Ortho Max) seem to perform best with the longest lasting effects on the preemergence and post emergence larvae.

Ted

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals